Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Team Mason Foundation Christmas...


Our Christmas Tree - 2007 - PCMC


As you know - the holidays are approaching!  For us that means food, family, friends, celebrating the birth of Christ, more food and so much fun!  Along with all of the fun, we also approach a very sweet anniversary of sorts...

Our sick little Santa


Santa visiting ICS - Mason wasn't so sure about him...


We spent the holidays in the hospital with Mason while he recovered from his last chemo treatment and battled a very nasty fungal infection.  The month of December was the most challenging, tiring and one of the most heartbreaking times we had in the hospital.  It was the end of his treatment - we had set back after set back - or so it seemed after several months of them...we were tired.


Fighting through infection

So sweet
 
Sick baby, sad Mommy


Christmas Eve was my low being there with him.  Although we had THE BEST nurses who snuck us in an extra chair/bed so Chris and I could both be there together (which ended up scratching the entire floor in the room and sent us all into a small panic), it was a rough night.  Between Mason being so sick and throwing up on both of us, a bloody nose, our hot chocolate that we had saved for the night being SOOO terrible, and the fact that we were even there in the first place - this is when I had my first pity party.  I had tried to be so positive and active all the way - - - and I remember being really disappointed in myself because I could not shake the sadness I felt...

Christmas jammies - before throw up...


Christmas sweats - after throw up.


Well, the Lord works in mysterious ways, because Christmas Eve that year has now become one of my favorite days - ever...
Daddy reading to Mase

A blanket my sister-in-law Bobbi put together - a square from everyone in my family

Once Mason had stopped throwing up, we got things settled down,  got his cookies ready for Santa, and got him to sleep.  Then we started setting the gifts under our tree, put out our candy in the kidney bean trays (the ones you usually use while vomiting - that was my way of sticking it to cancer :-) and got ready for bed....that is when the magic started...

Cookies for Santa, stockings and puke catchers with candy :-)
Time after time - we had nurses bringing in all sorts of goodies for Mason!  We thought the items they had picked for him were sweet and we went about our night...but it didn't stop with just a few items...they started streaming in every few minutes!! 

Just the beginning...

Soon, we started telling them that he had enough and to give them to another child.  I will never forget the moment she said that there was an entire room full of gifts for the kids from the community and our huge stash was just the beginning...  it makes me cry just thinking about it.


That night was a reminder to me that God loves us and knows our needs.  A reminder that people are so kind and there is so much good in this world.  A reminder that Jesus truly loves the children and walks with them during their hardships.  He lightens our burdens and teaches us about love.  I would have never imagined how humbling and wonderful that experience would be for me.  I would have NEVER chosen that lesson to learn, but God knows us better then we know ourselves, and for that I am eternally grateful...

Each year, we try to do something to give back through the Team Mason Foundation.  This year, we want to do something a little different...



Because we know our sweet cancer kids are so amazingly taken care of, we want to focus on their parents and care givers this Christmas.  We want to make sure that there is something to wake up to for them, next to their special child's Christmas stash, to give them some hope and love for the holidays.  We want them to know they are being prayed for and looked after...


We had planned on doing a few baskets, but we just learned that they have added to the ICS unit at PCMC and what we were planning on doing - won't be enough...  We would also like to send a few baskets down to the PICU where Mason fought through his most critical fight!  We have had some great donations to help in the cause and we are so grateful for great friends and family that support Team Mason!  


Here are the items we are still in need of if you would like to participate! 


-Yummy lotions (nothing too smelly as it can bother some patients - think similar to aromatherapy line at Bath and Body)
-Nice shampoo/conditioners
-Card games
-DVD's
-CD's
-iTunes gift cards
-iPods or shuffles
-Guy stuff (Something that a dude would like)

-Books
-Magazines 
-Treats (chocolate, yummy store wrapped treats- nothing wrapped in at home can be accepted by the ICS floor)
-Anything else you might enjoy!
-You can also donate $$$ as some of the items we will get for each 
basket we will need to purchase (items like egg mattresses, gift cards to the cafe at the hospital to aid in food costs, some nice blankets among other items) 

**If you write a check you can write it off on your taxes via Team Mason!!!  Please make sure your checks are written out to Team Mason Foundation. 

We will need all donations by Monday, December 13th.  Please let me know if you would like to help out with our Team Mason Christmas!  You can email me at buttah76@hotmail.com


We wish you all a very happy and HEALTHY holiday season!


Post #34 - Giving back.

16 comments:

  1. michelle i am bawling my eyes out look at mason when he was sick. i cannot even imagine what you guys went through. i admire you so much for being so positive and doing so many great things. i would love to help out!when do you need the stuff by? one thing that might also be fun is trashy magazines. whenever i have been in the hospital i love to read then to take my mind off everything else, at least they are good for that right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sweet! We need donations by December 13th and trashy magazines would be awesome :-) I added it to the list! :-) XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, You are amazing. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im sitting here crying. Wow. Seeing those photos of him when he was sick and then seeing photos of him now....it just makes my heart so full! Do you guys have a paypal set up or a way to donate online?

    Shannon Mann

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome thing you are doing, Michelle! Those pictures of Mason are exactly how I remember him...to see how far he has come and how much he has grown is heartwarming. I think it is fantastic that you are thinking of others and giving back to PCMC. That's what the Christmas season is all about, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Hayley - Love your face! XO


    @Shannon - we do not have a paypal set up - I will look into it. You can send a check though - if you want my address, just email me! buttah76@hotmail.com XO

    @Jami - Let me know if you have any other suggestions of what you think some parents might need or anything else! :-) And yes, after what we experienced, it is what it is all about! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle-

    Thanks for that post. I needed a pick-me-up tonight and that was the perfect thought. You totally humbled me. Sometimes our trials just stink, but we get through them right? Thanks, your the best. Bless your sweet little family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is where my mind has been at as well this holiday season! Funny how the worst times can make the best memories. Still yet to meet you in person, but I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your family is amazing - what a sweet story.
    Can we just send checks to your home?? What a great thing you are doing love, sally

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Sally - yes ma'am! If you need my address, you can email me - buttah76@hotmail.com - just don't want to publish it on my blog :-)

    Lacey - I love you too! Let's make a New Year's resolution to get together!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. TEARS!!! I can't even imagine watching your little man go through so much pain. I would love to help. I'll email you for your address.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what amazing people you are to give back. you were so wonderful to work with during such hard times! I am sorry I wasnt more help to helping you pin down ideas of what exactly to provide the kids/families with....but whatever it be, it is MORE than WELCOMED! Thank you for your generosity and I am happy to help out in ANY way! Love you guys...and Love seeing those pics of my Mason buddy! He was such a cute baldy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, this is Brittaney's little sister Bridgett and i would love to help out with the donations, please let me know what i can do to help out. My e-mail is gidge_sulser@hotmail.com, text me @ 801-867-1886 or if you would like you can just tell my adorable sister and she can fill me in on what you guys need. You seem like an amazing family and i am excited to help out in any way you would like!
    -bridgett sulser

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michelle, I am in tears right now. I was so scared that we would end up in patient for Christmas. I don't know why, but I had a feeling. Chase had a fever and thank goodness we didn't have to go because it never got high enough. I can see your pitty party and I would have had one too. But isn't it always when you hit your low that someone is prompted by the Lord to come take care of you. I have felt his love through so many people as I am sure you have too. I think your foundation is awesome and I am so sad that I am hearing of this too late. We put our own little donations for the clinic together and I was amazed at the response from people. People are GOOD! You are awesome! I am so glad that you got to spend Christmas with Mason this year healthy, but it is those tender Christmas's that will never be blurred in with the rest. When we are at our lowest the spirit seems to comfort us the most. Keep up all the good work you are doing and if you do something in the future please let me know. I would love to help!!! I am also part of a little cancer mom group on facebook. They are amazing ladies and have helped me so much. Most of them still in treatment, but some of them are finished and they seem to be our rocks because they can answer just about any question we have. If you are interested let me know and I will have one of the admins invite you. It is a private group so only they can send the invite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle: I am so impressed and touched by the story of Mason as a baby and your strength and willingness to give back now. I wish I would have read this so much sooner and would have been able to help you. I pray you were given an abundance of help by the people who read this. Thank you for being such a great example of Christlike love.

    ReplyDelete