Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Heaven on Earth

Ever experienced Heaven on Earth? Here are a few things that take me there…


-Playing and snuggling my kids – especially in the early mornings and late nights

-Hanging out with Chris when there is nothing else on our minds

-Noisy fun filled nights with family while the adults are laughing and the kids are playing

-Victoria Secret lip-gloss

-My bed after a long day

-A good workout

-My Grandma Dora’s Freezer pumpkin bread with Cream cheese frosting



That last one…Heaven-Heaven-Heaven!

I keep my freezer stocked with the stuff – no seriously, I do! If we are assigned dessert, or a treat to share, you can almost guarantee Grandma’s pumpkin bread is what you're going to get! If I had $1 for ever time someone asked for the recipe, I would be set for life baby!!!

Growing up I remember my Mom making it for the holidays! She would get a big plate, start piling up the mini-sandwiches while me and my siblings would sit around and eat them faster than she could make them. Lots of good memories connected to that smell and taste for sure! My kid’s memories of the stuff with be always having it - can't help it people!!

I feel like everyone should experience Grandma Dora’s treat - what a great lady! So, the only thing I ask when you make/share this recipe (cause you will when you taste it) is that you tell people this recipe came from an amazing woman who is a hero of mine (Grandma – raised 7 kids in cloth diapers – HERO!) and made by an amazing woman who is another hero of mine (my Mom – who put up with 7 crazy kids – my Dad included in that number!) with love!

Here it is…(drum roll please):


Sift and measure flour then add ingredients in order given.

3 1/2 cup Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Soda
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Cloves
3 cups Sugar
1 cup Vegetable Oil (or melted shortening)
4 Eggs
1 cup Water
2 cups Pumpkin

Put in 3 greased and floured loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour (you may want to watch this in you oven. I have to bake mine at 325 degrees). Then wrap and freeze. Slice thin while frozen. Place filling on slices (like a sandwich) and cut in half and serve. Makes 6 dozen sandwiches (3 loafs).

Filling:

1 package (8 oz) Cream Cheese
1/2 cup Softened Butter
1 pkg. Or 2 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla

So there it is! Probably my favorite food ever associated with so many great childhood memories! I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as mine does! I would post some pictures - but I am not that cool.

Post #9 – YUMMY!

4 comments:

  1. My mom makes this same recipe and it's definitely my FAVORITE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!!! thanks for posting the recipe, I can't wait to make this, love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to second you on this one!! One of our all time faves! I just gave the recipe for it THIS WEEK! Yum, Yum, Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing....good food always warms the heart!

    ReplyDelete