Sunday, June 13, 2010

The cat is out of the bag…

Since publishing post #15 there have been many questions as to what the heck is going on with us…no worries people – all is well…really well.

I realize now I should not have been so vague – or should have left a few parts out – nonetheless, we think you should know Chris and I have started the process of adoption. It is something we have both felt would be a part of our lives at some point and something we are very excited about.

When our dating relationship got to the point of tackling all of those necessary questions like…

Where do you want to live?
Do you share my faith and beliefs?
How many children do you want?
Do you think covered wagons are as disgusting as I do?

…you know – the important stuff… we both discussed how we felt strongly about the miracle of adoption. Thus, it has always been part of our plan, although I was not expecting it to come so quickly. It has been another example about how God is in charge and has a plan for us - for me.

IN A NUT SHELL…

It started when Brightyn was a little over six months old and Chris came to me one night after dinner. He said, “I think it is time to starting thinking about adoption. It has been weighing on my mind a lot lately.” To which I gently replied, “Are you out of your mind?” The talk of adoption was put on the backburner…

Then in January when pictures of devastation in Haiti plastered the TV and computer screens I could not watch and refrain from crying. The first night, Chris and I watched and hugged our kids tight. At one point we both looked at each other and knew it was time to start our adoption journey. We both wanted to scoop up the little ones in need and bring them home.

I started frantically searching about adoption from Haiti and learned quickly it was not an option at the time because records were lost and everything was basically destroyed. As I spent hours upon hours the computer trying to get as much information about adoption in general I came across an article about domestic adoption. While international adoption is wonderful and there is such a huge need, the same need is very real right here in the US. We would adopt domestically unless we are lead otherwise.

Through lots of prayers and research we chose an agency and all of our HOURS of paperwork (asking every possible question about ourselves, our marriage, or children, parenting skills, our spouses strengths and weaknesses and anything else you can possibly think of), home study and background work is in. It was actually very fun for me to think about some of the questions and see how Chris answered as well. It just makes me very proud of my little family and confirmed the MOUNDS of LOVE I feel for them! We are excited to add to our eternal family. So, now we wait…and will probably wait for some time…and I am not patient…crap.

We know there may be critics who will want to tell us every horror story they have ever heard about adoption. We know there is adversity in all things. We know three children will be a huge adjustment. Believe me – we are not going into this with our eyes closed. (If you know Chris – ever decision he makes is with his eyes WIDE open…and then he sleeps on it and looks at it again with his eyes WIDE open…and the process repeats over and over…). But we also know God loves us and is in the process of sending another sweet baby into our home via adoption. We know we will love and cherish this baby like our own – because this baby WILL be our own thanks to a selfless birth mother. What amazing people those birth parents are! We know this decision is God’s will and that has been confirmed time and time again through prayer and fasting. This is what is right for us, and we couldn’t be more excited.

So many things have been put into action because of this (like this blog) and we are thrilled. Our families are supportive as well as our close friends and that is what matters to us most. We would love you all to spread the word if you feel like that is something you would want to do. Our little family has so much to offer and we are looking forward to expanding.

Alas, like I said - all is well. Hopefully that explains the last post. We’re good- never been better!

Post #16 – Families are Forever…

9 comments:

  1. I think that's great! My sister and her husband adopted a brother and sister after having 5 kids of their own. It had always been in their plans to adopt as well. My brother-in-law was adopted himself and they just always felt that was something they wanted to do. They ended up fostering to adopt and overall had a great experience with it. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey michelle...found your blog through facebook. i think that is awesome and i can't wait to hear how it plays out! any baby would be so lucky to come to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is exciting! I agree any baby would be lucky to be in your family! My youngest brother is adopted, and to say that it hasn't had it's challenges would be a lie, but what doesn't. Every child deserves to be loved and taken care of! Wishing you the best of luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo exciting! I am so proud of you guys! Just yesterday in one of my church meetings my bishop shared the statistic that 50% of children are born out of wedlock and in some ethnicities it is as high as 70%. I am so glad there are wonderful, loving people out there who are willing to take in those who need a mother and father who loves them and is willing to teach them. You guys are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love ya Michelle and you guys are amazing people and wonderful parents

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, Yay! I am so excited for you that is awesome. You guys are seriously some of the greatest people I know

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lucky child this will be.

    Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any kid would be more then lucky and blessed to be a part of your family, in fact will you adopt me too? haha, I'm exited for you guys. I think you are amazing and I'm blessed to know you! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! We are hoping to adopt too! *thinking good thoughts* and sending prayers to you guys!

    ReplyDelete