This weekend a fellow coach at Northridge, Travis, passed away after losing his battle with cancer. He and his wife are amazing people I only had the privilege of speaking with him a few brief times (Travis started teaching the same year Mason got Leukemia and I only got to the school for dance – then Travis got sick – blah blah blah). But, in following the blog of his sweet wife - knowing their story has touched my life as well as countless others. The loss for this sweet family (he has 4 young children) has weighed very heavy on my heart…and I haven’t really been able to hold it together as he passed on Friday, his birthday was Saturday, and today – Father’s Day… These are people I barely know, but I think it the fact that we have done the cancer thing that nearly cost us Mason’s life several times – I have small kids – and I cannot imagine losing my husband. She is a pillar of strength. Here is her blog http://wonderingsofawannabe.blogspot.com/ if you are interested in learning more about their story…
I just wanted to touch on some great Father’s in my life…
Father-in-law Eric…
What a great person he is! A huge lover of the Broncos and overall selfless person, he is a wonderful Papa and has a special bond with our kids! I see a lot of what makes Chris the amazing person he is - he has learned from his Dad. He is generous, charitable, amazingly patient and very laid back dude! He coaches high school football and the kids he works with look up to him almost as much as I do. Everyone that knows him thinks the world of him - rightly so...
My Daddy…
Where to begin… There were times growing up when I did things for which I thought he would kill me for sure – and those were some of the sweetest times I can remember when he showed me he loved me the most.
For example: When I took out the entire right side of our suburban with a tree stump (seriously bumper to bumper destruction). I went home that night and told my parents (who were conveniently in bed) that I had scratched the right side of the burb… I woke up the next morning to my Dad in my room… “Michelle, come and see the ‘little scratch’…” Ah crap. It was dark and I wasn’t sure how bad it really was – obviously it was not good news.
Once I got outside and explained what had happened (the tree stump covered with a few small branches seriously jumped out of no where on a small canyon road) my Dad got surprisingly calm, told me he was glad I was okay and we would work it out… It honestly taught me so much.
He loves the gospel and serving the Lord. He is one of the hardest working people I know and he cares so much for people. Our kids love playing with him and he is such a fun Papa! Love you Dad!
The love of my life, Chris…
Oh man – what a stud muffin! Patient, fun loving, sweet, genuine, real, hot, real hot, honest, selfless, and wonderful are just a few words to describe him. We have laughed so hard we’ve cried, played hard, cried and worried, rejoiced and been through so much more than couples our age should.
Chris is the best Dad I have ever seen. My kids are incredibly lucky that their Mom talked such a great guy into eternity! When he leaves for work, the kids demand on several kisses, goodbyes and it takes longer than it should to get out the door because of their love for him. When he gets home they rejoice like they just found out they can have a cookie (that is big in our house)! He is on the floor playing, fixing them shakes, reading them books, teaching them about Christ, or singing songs with them almost every second he can and our kids eat up their time with him.
Chris is a hard worker! He has so many responsibilities on his plate, but he always makes us his #1. He is helpful and does more than his share with the house work most weeks. He is very smart and driven. He is very sweet and caring. He is the T.P. (Total package) and I think the most annoying thing about his is that he is perfect! ;-)
Chris is the love of my life. He makes me want to be a better person each day. He is my best friend. He is my rock. Chris is everything to me and my kids…we are so blessed by his presence in our lives.
The kids with Daddy after church.

Seriously - he is so handsome!!
Mason went and stayed with my in-laws last night so we just had Brightyn. I caught this great moment with Daddy and daughter!

I LOVE YOU CHRIS!
Post #17 - Happy Father’s Day!







I felt the same way this Fathers day, just so grateful. I feel a little wierd about how much Trav's passing has affected me considering I have never met him. It just hit so close to home, and made me so thankful for the time me and my Travis have been given. My heart just aches, and aches for them.
ReplyDeleteHow Sweet! Your kids sure do love their daddy!!
ReplyDeleteSeriously, nothing beats a good Father in the home. This is on the top of my gratitude list as well! By the way, the Butterfly post is adorable.
ReplyDelete